I will be honest: I totally love Twitter. I started my Twitter (@crhoffman99) over 5 years ago for personal use and over the past two years transitioned to using it professionally and for communication. I follow a lot of science folks, but also some celebs & lifestyle bloggers (diversity is good!). Here are some great science related people and places that I think YOU should follow to get started.
1. Specimen FMNH PR2081 (@SUEtheTrex): Okay, so this is not a person, but a SPECIMEN from the Field Museum in Chicago that tweets pretty hilarious scientific jokes. Always good for a laugh.
2. California Academy of Science (@calacademy): An outstanding museum in San Francisco tweeting about its exhibits and education efforts. Lots of stunning visuals come through their feed.
3. Ed Yong (@edyong209): Science journalist who shares a multitude of interesting stories. Ed always seems to be ahead of curve on popular science trends. Follow him to get the latest and greatest of science journalism.
4. Emily Graslie (@ehmee): With a job title like “Chief Curiosity Correspondent”, you can guess you’ll get some great tweets from Emily. She hosts “The Brain Scoop” on YouTube and is generally making great strides for science communication and women in science.
5. Alex Wild (@Myrmecos): A prominent wildlife and insect photographer, his feed will bombard you with out of this world, up-close shots of insects. Be prepared for lots of ants and spiders!
6. Real Scientists (@realscientists): As the name implies, this Twitter account contains real scientists who alternate weekly to bring you various content. Check the info box and picture to identify the weekly scientist. Great account for getting answers to questions!
What other account do you suggest for getting started? Let me know in the comments below or tweet me!